As bitcoin (BTC) becomes more and more popular and its distribution around the world is growing, more and more people are asking the question – “Where and what can I buy with bitcoin?” So, today the market offers the widest range of goods and services for cryptocurrency not only in the digital environment, but also in many offline locations. Over 100,000 stores around the world accept Bitcoin as payment. The only thing is, the variety of such proposals and their number depends on the attitude of the authorities towards the crypto industry.
And it all started with pizza, which became the first quite tangible purchase for Bitcoin. A certain Bitcointalk user Laszlo Hanyecz purchased it for 10,000 BTC from another forum user. The pizza was purchased from Papa Johns pizzeria in Florida. This news spread all over the Internet, and five days later, the first cryptocurrency grew by 1000% – from $ 0.008 to $ 0.08 per 1 BTC.
A complete list of locations where you can pay with cryptocurrency can be found on sites such as CoinMap. So where and what can you buy with Bitcoin today?
· The property
· Video games, movies and apps
· Donations and charity
· Gold and silver
· Everyday goods and services for bitcoin
· Online store products
· Gift cards and payment services
· Examples of things you can buy with Bitcoin
Bitcoin is ideal for large purchases such as real estate, especially luxury ones. The Bitcoin Real Estate website features real estate properties from all over the world that can be purchased with Bitcoin, Ethereum or Litecoin . Not only private apartments are sold here, but also commercial properties. If you decide to change your place of residence or open a business, then buy cryptocurrency, and the service will help you buy whatever you want.
There are already quite a few real estate companies on the market that trade for BTC. For example, the Knox Group has been offering modern apartments in Dubai (UAE) since 2017 in two 40-storey skyscrapers Aston Plaza & Residences. The purchase can be made with bitcoins via BitPay. Also, the New York real estate agency Magnum Real Estate provides its clients with the opportunity to pay with the most popular cryptocurrency.
Most often, sellers of real estate located in resort areas agree to pay with bitcoins. For example, a plot with a total area of 0.56 hectares with a house and other buildings in California was sold for $ 1.6 million, and the buyer paid in bitcoins. And a Miami resident sold his mansion for 1,600 BTC.
The use of payment in bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies in real estate has very great prospects, because, according to one of the American brokers, the transaction takes no more than 10 minutes.
Like real estate, cars are increasingly becoming items that can be bought with Bitcoin. This is mainly true for premium cars. The first purchase of a high-end Lamborghini with Bitcoin was made at the Lamborghini Newport Beach, California. The lucky one was the crypto millionaire and 35-year-old programmer Peter Saddington.
Accepts payment for cars and other private dealerships such as:
· Ford Sam’s Pack (Dallas);
· Tomcar with SUVs (Melbourne);
· BitPremier with Ferrari, Bentleys and even Hennessey Venom GT;
· Overland Park Jeep Dodge Ram Chrysler with jeeps (Kansas).
And this is not a complete list. Today, many car dealerships have added coin as one of the payment methods available. The list of cars traded with the cue ball can be viewed, for example, on the website buysellcarwithbitcoin.com and carvdb.com.
Universities have always been significant centers for the adoption and implementation of new technologies, and Bitcoin is no exception. Back in 2013, one of the universities in Cyprus announced that now students have the opportunity to pay for tuition using bitcoins. A year later, such well-known educational institutions as the American Kings College and the English University of Cumbria also began to accept cryptocurrency along with the usual dollars and euros.
Today, many universities and colleges in Europe accept Bitcoin as their currency for tuition fees. Among the most famous are the University of Varna in Bulgaria, the European School of Management and Technology in Berlin, the University of Applied Sciences Lucerne in Switzerland.
Video games, movies and apps
Microsoft, for example, offers video games, movies, and apps for bitcoins and allows cryptocoins to be used to fund an account. Earlier, the corporation suspended the acceptance of cryptocurrency, but soon resumed. The well-known service G2A Game Store also offers games for bitcoins. Payments are processed by the BitPay system, while the purchase takes place directly from the creator of the game, and G2A only resolves disputes. Other well-known and not very well-known gaming companies are ready to accept tokens for their products, for example:
· Xbox – in addition to buying games, here you can subscribe to Xbox Live;
· PlayStation Network – Pay for games and PS Network subscriptions;
· Humble Bundle accepts payment for indie games;
· Big Fish Games;
· Green Man Gaming;
There are games played with bitcoins:
· Satoshi’s Place – uses bitcoin and blockchain technology;
· BitQuest is an MMORPG game on a public Minecraft server that allows you to find and use real BTC;
· Hammerland – RPG game also used for in-game payments;
· Spells of Genesis – the base currency of the game is Bitcrystals tokens stored on the bitcoin blockchain …
Previously, the well-known playground Steam also accepted bitcoins as payment, but since December 2017, it has become impossible to pay with bitcoins for games. As a company representative explained, Steam refused to accept Bitcoin as a means of payment due to the high volatility of the cryptocurrency and high fees.
Travel and tourism companies are among the leaders in the adoption of bitcoin as a means of payment. Most of the firms offer the same services for booking hotels and buying airline tickets. Below you will find a list of the largest and most popular travel companies:
· Expedia is one of the world’s largest online booking agencies that accepts BTC payments for hotel and hotel bookings. In addition, in the future, services for the purchase of air tickets, passes for various events, etc. will be available;
· AirBaltic is the first airline to start accepting bitcoins for airline tickets in 2014;
· Webjet is a site where you can book everything you need for a great vacation: tickets, hotels, cruises, rent a car;
· Virgin Group is the first commercial airline founded by Richard Branson to accept Bitcoin as a payment method, etc.
Similar services are offered by such services as CheapAir, Bitcoin Travel, Travel For Coins.
According to statistics provided by travel companies, the number of sales after the addition of bitcoin as a payment method increased by almost one and a half times. Travel agencies themselves note that offering alternative payment methods is a great way to attract new customers.
So, if you are planning to travel and pay for services with Bitcoin, travelforcoins.com service will be useful to you , where you can find a suitable company that accepts BTC.
Donations and charity
Charitable donations often come with high fees. Additionally, many people prefer anonymous donations, which is not possible with a credit card. Bitcoin solves the problem of anonymity and high fees, which is why cryptocurrencies are becoming more popular in this area. There are several major sites where you can participate in charity projects using Bitcoin:
· The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to the development and distribution of multilingual educational content;
· Wikileaks is an international non-profit organization that publishes classified information and news provided by anonymous sources;
· Bitcoin for Charity List – An ever-growing list of verified charities and their Bitcoin wallet numbers .
Another company worth mentioning as an example of attracting bitcoin for charity is IranRescueBit. This independent organization provides assistance in Iran, where it is simply impossible to send other contributions in fiat currency due to US sanctions and, accordingly, the blocking of international accounts. By using cryptocurrencies, donors can make donations anonymously and freely. Director Hamed Salehi highlighted the benefits of using cryptocurrencies for the campaign.
“We hope everyone can see that cryptocurrencies are not only about mining, trading and illegal activities such as money laundering, which reflect only a small part of the activities of cryptocurrencies. They can have many practical uses for ordinary citizens”
BitGive is another charitable non-profit organization that collects donations in both Bitcoin and USD.
Gold and silver
Want to buy gold or silver with bitcoin? Several companies provide this opportunity, including JM Bullion ,GramGold , APME . Not only that, GramGold pegs its native coin to one gram of gold and can be bought on exchanges like Kucoin for bitcoins. APMEX offers custodian services and also accepts payments in BTC for gold. And JM Bullion’s price list even includes a 4% discount on the purchase of gold and silver with Bitcoin.
Online luxury retailers BitDeals and Reeds Jewelers can also offer fine jewelry and diamonds in exchange for coins. There are companies that will preserve your digital assets in precious metal tangible form, such as BitGold andAmagi Metals .
Everyday goods and services for bitcoin
Some major online retailers that offer a wide variety of retail products have already added the cue ball as an affordable means of payment. Here you can buy everything from coffee to new furniture. Now there are already a number of sites, the range of which will satisfy even the most demanding consumer. In addition, they offer a nice option for crypto-enthusiasts – payment with bitcoin.
Are you pretty hungry and ready to buy your own food for Bitcoin? Quite real: a large number of shops, cafes and restaurants will willingly accept payment in this coin. Delicious and super hot sauces at Pex Peppers, pure honey and healing balms at Bees Bros, cold beer at Old Fitzroy in Sydney… – just what you need! Payment Company FastBitcoins recently entered into an agreement with Estonian coffee shop Sativa Store and CBD shopping center. The service now allows people to buy BTC and spend in stores. Plus, it reduces the transaction fee, which means it makes purchases with cryptocurrency more accessible and efficient.
Let’s list the most famous places where food is offered for bitcoin:
· Coffee – Some pubs and coffee bars have taken inspiration from cryptocurrencies. For example, in the capital of the Czech Republic, Prague, a Bitcoin Coffee establishment has opened, where you can pay for coffee only with cryptocurrency;
· The Monthly Rack is a “compact bucket filled with breakfast, lunch and dinner items,” you can buy with bitcoin from Augason Farms at Overstock.com. In addition, the set includes a menu planner for 45 days, in case the apocalypse suddenly comes and you need to stretch out supplies for a longer period;
· Beer Pubs were some of the first establishments to declare accepting Bitcoin on par with fiat currencies. The famous Old Fitzroy in Sydney began accepting BTC back in 2013 and became the first Australian pub to take an interest in cryptocurrencies as a means of payment;
· Grilled Cheese – At Great Lost Bear in Portland, Maine, all items on the menu, including grilled cheese, can only be paid for with cash, credit card or Bitcoin. The menu is marked “Sorry, we do not accept payment by personal checks”.
Online store products
Overstock is the first major online store to start accepting payments in cryptocurrency. It has everything from jewelry to laptops and TVs. And, of course, this is far from the only example:
· Newegg is an online retail giant that accepts BTC payments for most items;
· Shopify is an e-commerce platform that allows users to create their own online stores, such as on Etsy and eBay;
· Etsy is a very popular marketplace for selling handmade goods in Europe and the USA. Today, there are already about 100 sellers accepting BTC.
At the moment, Bitcoin can buy almost everything on popular services such as eBay or Amazon. While they do not accept cryptocurrency directly, however, some sites offer intermediary services that circumvent this limitation. Read more about this in the “Gift Cards” section.
Gift cards and payment services
A large number of Bitcoin transactions are made through the purchase of gift cards. They allow you to shop at most large stores and small local businesses both online and offline. Some services offer gift cards of different denominations – and they can be purchased for bitcoins.
Also, last summer, Coinbase announced a joint partnership with WeGift. As a result, gift cards were issued for purchases with cryptocurrency. It is not difficult to use the offer – users just need to connect their Coinbase wallet with the WeGift service in order to buy gift cards for their family and friends for cryptocurrency. The cards themselves allow you to shop at over 120 branded stores.
The market for crypto payment applications is growing rapidly. More and more wholesale and retail companies are turning their attention to the possibilities of digital coins. Applications are in demand for processing orders paid with coins. Among them, Coingate services are very popular, which allow network companies to accept payments from their customers in several of the most popular cryptocurrencies.
Other large services are known:
· Coinbase Commerce – Offers a simple, non-custodial solution to support BTC, ETH, BCH, LTC, and USDC with no transaction fees. More than 2000 sellers have already used the offer;
· Coinomi is a handy wallet that also works with multiple crypto coins. Allows you to exchange coins almost instantly thanks to a partnership with the ShapeShift service, which is known for its user-friendly interface and transaction speed;
· Bitrefill , a mobile top -up service, also allows users to buy vouchers and gift cards directly in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies;
· BitPay is a blockchain payment provider that supports, in addition to BTC, ETH, BCH, USDC, GUSD and PAX. Soon, the wallet promises to add XRP coin as well . In the past year alone, BitPay processed over $ 1 billion in payments from global merchants including Microsoft, Dish Networks, FanDuel and Avnet.
“The B2B BitPay business continues to grow rapidly as our solution is cheaper and faster than wire transfers from most regions of the world.”
Noted Stephen Para, co-founder and CEO of BitPay
Examples of things you can buy with Bitcoin
There are a number of interesting things that you can buy with Bitcoin and Bitcoin only:
· Lottery tickets – if you are in Minnesota or New Hampshire, you can buy lottery tickets in the Jackpocket app using your credit card or Bitcoin;
· Hemp Soap is an original handmade hemp oil soap in the shape of a Bitcoin coin. Isn’t it an interesting gift?
· Alternative Comics – In 2014, LAs’ Meltdown Comics opened the world’s first comic book store for Bitcoin;
· Taxi – if you live in metropolitan areas of countries such as Argentina or Hungary, you can order a Bitcoin taxi;
· Mattresses – yes, it is soft mattresses that will be delivered to you super-fast after the online mattress store GhostBed processes your purchase request for BTC;
· Rolex watches – it took some time for the cue ball to become a means of payment in the luxury goods category. JavyEstrella.com now sells Rolex watches with this coin;
· Weapons – Back in 2014, the Central Texas Gun Works store was the first in Texas to start accepting payments in BTC;
· Coffins – In the saddest moments of life, you can baffle Crescent Tide Funeral & Cremation to pick up quality coffins for your bitcoin. For such clients, a 3% discount is provided;
· Liposuction – American company bodySCULPT claims to be the first clinic to accept payments in cryptocurrency. Bitcoin you can pay for any service, including liposuction;
· Private dancing – in the famous gentleman club the Legends Room in Las Vegas, you can pay with bitcoins and your own cryptocurrency company for everything – from drinks to private dancing. In addition, the cryptomats installed in the institution make it easy to do this for any client, even those who are not the holder of cryptocurrencies;
· H&M Distributors’ bulbs can now also be purchased for the famous coin.
In fact, bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies still have a very long way to go to become a full-fledged means of payment. In comparison with ordinary money, the percentage of using cryptocurrency to pay for goods and services is too insignificant to speak of global recognition.
What can you buy with Bitcoin?
The main reasons that hinder the mass adoption of cryptocurrencies as a means of payment are high volatility, high fees for transfers and the lack of clear regulation by states.
However, the cryptocurrency industry is very dynamic and growing rapidly. Now, many teams and individual developers are actively working to remove the above barriers, and more and more stores and other establishments are enthusiastically declaring: “Bitcoin Accepted Here.” So, the efforts of adherents of the crypto market aimed at popularizing decentralized assets and platforms are having good consequences.
The boom has not yet arrived, but it will definitely happen, given the convenience and simplicity of payment transactions.