Metro is known to be one of the most efficient and effective transportation systems in India. Kolkata was the first city to get its metro railway system. Now cities like Bangalore and Delhi have also got their metro system. The metro rails are basically run under the ground, which is why it does not face any traffic, unlike other transportation systems like bus, taxi, or auto.
Millions of passengers use metro rails for their daily journey. It is the fastest and most efficient way of commuting for the obvious reasons. If you are a metro enthusiast, then you need to know about its various aspects and things. Here are some of the lesser-known facts about Metro Coach that you are really supposed to know.
- Kolkata is going to be the first Indian city to get its first-ever underwater metro train. This is a 9000 Crore Rupees project which will be under Hoogly River and thus will connect twin cities Howrah and Kolkata. It will have a 5.8 km elevated route along with a 10.8 km underground route.
- Kolkata’s underwater metro trains run 30 meters below the earth’s surface and 13 meters below the riverbed of the Ganges. There will be two parallel tunnels, around 520 meters long, on either side of the Ganges between Howrah and Kolkata.
- This East-West Metro rail route which is 16.6 km in length, is to have 12 different stations. Among these, 6 stations will be in the underground corridor, and 6 will be in the elevated corridor.
- Delhi happens to be the largest metro/rapid system in the country. It has around 389 km metro line along with 285 different stations.
- Namma Matro is known to be the first-ever metro rail system in the southern India. Moreover, this metro railway system is also the first to introduce and feature Wi-Fi on its metro coach.
- Mumbai is considered to be the first Indian city to have the first-ever PPP (Public-Private Partnership) metro railway system with the Reliance Group. 14 main lines and several other extensions are done in several stages of its execution.
- Jaipur Metro Railway Systems happens to have the first-ever elevated double-story road and metro track arrangement in this project.
- On the other hand, there is the Chennai Metro system that was first to connect two lines (green and blue) through the loop line. This double line connection was done for running the direct service from the airport to the central. Moreover, this metro system was also the first to have underground stations with the sliding doors.
- Kochi metro system is considered to be the first-ever CBTC (i.e., Communication Based Train Control) based metro live. It went live with the CBTC signalling.
- Lucknow Metro was the fastest ever built as well as commissioned metro railway system in the country as well as in the world. Its construction started on 27th September 2014 with 8.5 km, and the commercial operation began on 5th September 2017.
- Hyderabad was the first to introduce the country’s first-ever driver-less metro coaches. This metro system has CBTC along with integrated telecommunication and supervision system.
- Delhi metro system is known to carry around 700 million passengers every year, which is even more than the population of America.
Delhi metro is certainly the most important metro system in India. It has several records. Delhi Metro Railway was the first-ever Indian metro to be certified by the United Nations to get carbon credits for effectively reducing greenhouse emissions. On average, it is known to reduce 6, 24, 00 tonnes of greenhouse emissions per year.