Your child’s immunity is undoubtedly the most critical thing to you. However, considering the quality of food these days and the increasing environmental concerns, you may always find yourself on edge trying to find the perfect immune booster for kids. The good news is that there are several healthy drinks that you can include in your child’s diet. These drinks are loaded with the essential nutrients to keep your child’s immunity at its best and prevent common health issues.
Before we move on to details about healthy drinks for kids, let us get down to the basics. The first step is to understand what nutrients must be included in your child’s diet to boost immunity. Here is a checklist for you:
It is one nutrient that we always associate with immunity. The potent antioxidant property of vitamin C helps flush toxins out and improves the body’s ability to fight disease-causing germs. Foods like citrus fruits, red and green peppers, strawberries, broccoli and kiwi fruits are the best natural sources of Vitamin C. You will also be able to find this nutrient in popular healthy drinks for kids.
There are several studies to show that maintaining an adequate level of Vitamin E in the body can be vital to building immunity. Just like Vitamin C, Vitamin E is also a very potent antioxidant. Besides healthy drinks for kids, you can also give your child ample Vitamin E with foods like almonds, hazelnuts, peanut butter and sunflower seeds.
According to the National Institutes of Health, even a slight drop in the levels of zinc in the body can have severe repercussions for the immune system. If you are making healthy drinks for kids at home, adding a handful of cashew can increase the levels of zinc in them. Other food sources include baked beans, chickpeas and oysters.
The best healthy drinks for kids are rich in protein. It is one of the most vital nutrients to boost immunity in children. As you would know, protein is responsible for any repair and regeneration that occurs within the body. It includes the production of the cells of the immune system that are responsible for fighting germs. Food sources like meat, eggs, milk, soya beans and dairy products are the best choices to give your child a healthy dose of protein.
These are healthy fats that your body requires every day. Omega-3 fatty acids are best known for reducing inflammation and keeping the immune system healthy. Most healthy drinks for kids, especially the ones that are meant for younger children, have a good dose of Omega-3 fatty acids. The natural food sources that you can include in your child’s diet are oily fish, walnuts, flaxseeds and chia seeds.
Since several food sources contain these vital nutrients, why do you need healthy drinks for kids? Here are some things to consider:
● They are consumable on the go: Whether it is in between classes, during sports training or during the early morning rush to get to school, healthy drinks for kids are effortless to consume. You have to mix them with a beverage of your choice for your little one to gulp down. Be it homemade health drinks or store-bought ones; you get assured that your child has a convenient and easy source of nourishment.
● The right amount of nutrients: Healthy drinks for kids like Gritzo Supermilk are formulated with care to make sure that your child gets the right amount of each nutrient. These drinks get made according to the daily recommended value for each age group for every nutrient. When it comes to the regular diet, it is hard to calculate and make sure that you include enough for your child to feel the immunity-boosting benefits of these ingredients.
● Single source for all nutrients: How many meals can you give your child every day? There are only so many natural sources of these nutrients that you can include each day. With healthy drinks for kids, you have one source for all the nutrients that are required. Highly concentrated, they ensure that your child does not suffer the consequences of inadequate intake.
● Children consume them readily: Healthy drinks for kids come in different flavours that children love. It becomes easier to get them to finish the drink. If you have a fussy eater at home, these healthy drinks are a real blessing.
You have the option of making these healthy drinks for kids at home or buying the readymade ones. If you are concerned about store-bought healthy beverages, here are some tips that will help you make the right choice:
● Check the nutrition label when you buy. If there are too many ingredients, particularly ones that you find hard to read or pronounce, it means that the drink comes loaded with preservatives.
● Choose healthy drinks for kids that contain natural sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners and refined sugars cause health issues in the long run.
● Make sure that the drink is free from allergens. Look out for the most common allergens including soy, gluten and lactose besides other foods that you know your child is allergic to.
● Ask for recommendations from friends and family. A tried and tested product is always safer than one that is unknown.
Healthy drinks for kids are the perfect supplement to a balanced diet to keep your child’s immunity at its peak. However, if you notice that a good diet and a healthy lifestyle are not helping the immune system get more robust than before, make sure that you visit your doctor. It will help rule out any other medical conditions or identify them early to treat them effectively.